YOUTH MINISTRY COORDINATOR
Reports To: Director of Faith Formation and Nurture
Palms Youth Ministry Statement: We want to be a Christ-centered, service-oriented, safe place for youth to grow closer to God and connect with one another.
The Youth Ministry Coordinator has primary responsibility for youth in their formative years from 6th – 12th grades and their families. The Youth Ministry Coordinator has the responsibility of building relationships with the youth of Palms and their families, creating ties between them and the overall congregation, coordinating service opportunities, and developing creative programming with the goal of forming young disciples of Christ informed by the Reformed tradition.
- Working with the Youth Ministry Team (YMT) and the Nurture Ministry, coordinate, resource, and cast vision for a multi-faceted and comprehensive youth ministry that engages and strengthens the faith of youth and their parents that includes, but is not limited to fellowship programs, educational programs, retreats, mission trips, confirmation, local mission, etc.
- Identify, train, empower, and serve as a resource to lay leaders as they serve in the youth ministry at Palms.
- Advocate for the integration and visibility of youth ministry into the overall life of Palms Presbyterian Church.
- Teach classes and facilitate group discussions regularly in various youth ministry programs.
- Read books, articles, and blogs and attend conferences on youth ministry and Christian education to be informed and educated about the field, particularly in the Reformed tradition.
- Provide a foundation for the spiritual journey of youth to help them transition out of youth ministry into adulthood.
- Maintain the youth ministry at Palms as a model for the community and the Presbytery of St. Augustine and build relationships with like-minded local ministries.
- Pray regularly for all youth and their families on the Palms rolls.
- Develop and nurture relationships with youth and their parents through a ministry of presence: spending time with them, showing up at school functions and events, sending handwritten notes, sharing devotional and parenting resources.
- Develop and nurture relationships with other church lay leaders through prayer and presence.
- Provide care to youth and families.
- Maintain relationships with young adults who graduate from high school as they attend college and/or enter the work force, and providing opportunities for them to remain connected to and supported by Palms.
- Participate in worship on Sundays as requested.
- Work with the appropriate ministries and staff to prepare and administer the annual budget for the youth ministry.
- With YMT and the Nurture Ministry, create and communicate a yearly calendar of events.
- Communicate regularly with other church lay leaders, parents, youth, and congregation through a variety of media: mailings, E-mail, bulletin announcements, newsletter articles, social media, texting, and phone calls.
- Supervise the summer youth ministry intern (usually a college student).
- Attend weekly church staff meetings, as well as monthly YMT and Nurture meetings.
- Attend pastoral care meetings.
- Meet regularly with supervisor.
- Personal Competencies
- Compassion and Care
- Influencing Others
- Interpersonal Skills
- Mission Ownership (Especially Theology)
- Written Communication
- Organizational Competencies
- Project Management
- Supervisory Competencies
- Pastoral Competencies
- Spiritual Maturity
- Spiritual Formation/Discipleship
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required.
- Experience in youth ministry (preferred).
- Knowledge of public relations.
- High energy level to maintain a challenging schedule and heavy workload.
- Effective communication skills.
- Effective public speaking skills as demonstrated in preaching and teaching.
- Excellent study skills and a desire to increase knowledge and ability.