NOURISH YOUR SOUL AND OTHERS
BIBLE & BREWS @ ENGINE 15
Every 4th Monday at 6:30pm at Engine 15 // Join Pastor Tom Walker and bring your doubts, your questions, your wonderings about life in general, buy a beer and join us for an informal conversation about everything under the sun! Engine 15 is located at 1500 Beach Blvd #217, Jacksonville Beach, FL. Questions? Contact Pastor Holly at the church.
WINE & WISDOM @ THE WINE BAR
Every 1st Monday of the month @ 6:30PM at The Wine Bar // What is your source of wisdom? What do you use as your source, your ground for decision making, your guiding principle? Come share your experience of seeking wisdom with others over a glass of wine as we focus on a wisdom quote from a variety of sources and share in open, honest, spiritual conversation. The Wine Bar is located at 320 1st St N #1, Jacksonville Beach. All are welcome. Questions? Contact Pastor Holly.
KIDS' KITCHEN IS BACK
Kids' Kitchen - Ongoing Now - August 3
Volunteer to help fight childhood hunger in our community this summer! For more than 10 years, a team of Palms volunteers has provided kid-friendly meals during the summer to the Gail Baker and Carver Community Centers. These centers serve children in our beaches community and many of these children qualify for reduced or free lunches during the school year. Kids' Kitchen is designed to help bridge the food gap that occurs when children are out of school during the summer months.
Throughout this 8-week program, many helping hands are needed to transport food from the Marsh Landing Publix to Palms, pack 80 bags each week with child-friendly meals and snacks, and deliver bags to one of the community centers.
Food Transport Teams - July 10 - Volunteers should feel comfortable lifting up to 25 lbs. Contact Richard Miller at 994-3557
Packing Teams (Wednesdays) Contact Erin Evans at 234-8318
Delivery Teams (Thursdays) Contact Elizabeth Bernardo at 662-7816
General Kids’ Kitchen Information Contact Susan Little at 728-0004
NEW MAYPORT MARKET
Feeding the children in our community
Palms Presbyterian is pleased to announce a new partnership with Mayport Elementary and BEAM. Mayport Elementary is a school at the very northern end of our beaches community. It is comprised of children K-5th grade and 94% of those children are on free or reduced lunch. In addition, at least 25% of the children are from military families. The school is in a “food desert” meaning there is no grocery store in the area. During the school year on every early release Wednesday, Palms will provide a team of volunteers to pick up food through BEAM at the 7North food collection location. We will drive the BEAM refrigerated truck to Mayport Elementary, where we will set up a market where families and children can go through the line and fill up a bag of groceries.
We need to put together our team.
- 2-3 people who can lift up to 50 lbs. and are comfortable driving a truck (no special license required). The time requirement for these transport volunteers will be from 12:30-3pm.
- 8-10 people who will meet at Mayport Elementary, set up food on tables and help families shop, build relationships, and offer support and care to children, parents and teachers. The time requirement for these Mayport Market volunteers will be 1:15-3pm.
- 1 person who will be the coordinator for Mayport Market including emailing team with updates, reminders, etc. This person must attend the training day (July 19) and the run through (August 11), but does not necessarily need to be part of the “hands-on” team. That means this person could be someone with a daytime job who wants to serve, but cannot be present on each early release.
- The early release dates for 2017-18 school year are
- 8/30, 9/13, 9/27
- 10/11, 10/25, 11/1, 11/15, 11/29
- 12/13, 1/17, 1/31
- 2/14, 2/28, 3/14
- 4/25, 5/16.
- In addition, we will have a training day on July 19 from 12-2:30pm where we will review Palms and Duval County Child Safety Policies, learn more about the program and travel together to Mayport Elementary to hear from their principal, Amy Cline.
- On August 11 we will have a test-run during Mayport Elementary Orientation from 8:30am -1pm where we will introduce the program to the families and have food available for pick up.
- We know it might be challenging to commit to every single day, however, our hope is to create a team who will make this program a priority for the school year and schedule around the early release Wednesdays. If you will be absent, it will be the volunteer’s responsibility to make sure that we have enough volunteers for the day.
- The Serve Ministry is also seeking additional substitute team members for the BEAM Food Pantry in Mayport.
Come be a part of these exciting opportunities to feed God’s children and build relationships within our community! Contact Pastor Laurie at 246-0594 x 223.